Figuratively and literally.
God did create a beautiful world and for many years man made good use of all the natural wonders we were afforded.
Then man started to get carried away with what they were able to do. Instead of balancing intellect with wisdom, some let their egos run wild with power never giving thought to how their actions would effect others or the future of the entire world. This is called ignorance and most men are guilty of this in one way or another because few trust in God.
Most of the current popular quotes or rules of thought are brought to us courtesy of the chosen, sheltered few that grew up loved and properly taken care of in relative comfort. Some claim that what happens to you in your life is up to you, which is simply not the truth. Seldom is the child of a crack whore or the town drunk quoted or celebrated for some high achievement they are responsible for but you must “Keep on Dreaming” “Keep Hope Alive” and “Never Give Up.”
When do those sayings become ridiculous or even rage inducing? Just rely on the truth and not the rants of the common man which are little more than the bleats of sheep. I also have a hard time with some Biblical scripture such as Romans 5:3 in that “tribulation worketh patience.” For some of us that have gone through much “tribulation” the last thing we now feel is patient. I know this is true for me but maybe there is a work that still needs to be done in me.
In the immortal words of Bernadette Rostenkowski Wolowitz:
When I have the time to think, not working, watching TV, listening to music, talking to others, etc., I find my thoughts are much deeper than when I was young. I see my society and culture spinning wildly out of control. With drugs, free sex and hedonistic behavior that probably outdoes any Roman heathen before their fall.
I have grown very concerned for the state of the world and its folly since the beginning of recorded history. The fact that even though we know better and think that we are much more learned now, we still are no further ahead on getting control over our impulses. Most of us still not willing to make any sacrifice to stave off instant gratification and pleasure for some loftier ideal or good cause.
Thus we have groups of men with guns that are paid to try and stop those of us that would bring others harm. Pathetic when you really think about it.
I wonder what hope any civilization really has when they are being taught things like:
- Accepting sin and bad behavior as normal instead of repentance and forgiveness.
- Encouraging the murder of so many unborn babies as a “choice” instead of teaching self-control and that the choice ends in whether or not to have sex or wait.
- That sex is not a spectator sport, group activity or should be done just for pleasures sake with anything or anyone instead of the notion that sex can only be consummated between a man and woman with purpose of reproduction at its heart and the spiritual aspect that goes along with becoming one with another in creating another life.
- That government sanctified murder is OK, but killing an enemy without another man’s permission in the private sector is wrong.
- To be driven, successful and wealthy is what we all should aim for instead of being helpful, kind and living your life as a testament to God instead of yourself.
- That the aggressive, foolish and greedy control everything instead of the temperate and wise.
- That man can continue to pervert and destroy everything in his path and this won’t lead to complete world destruction
“No race that does not take care of its young can hope to survive – or deserves to survive.” Father Flanagan, founder of Boys Town.
More quotes from Father Flanagan.
There’s a saying about when life hands you lemons you should make lemonade.
Something to think about.
Some of my favorite quotes from Dr Martin Luther King Jr.
“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. The true neighbor will risk his position, his prestige, and even his life for the welfare of others.”
“I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.”
“Faith is taking the first step, even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
“Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.”
“I have the audacity to believe that people everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, quality and freedom for their spirit. I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, other centered men can build up.”
“Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor. It must be demanded by the oppressed.”
“In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”