When Jesus rode into Jerusalem on an ass before Passover, it was to symbolize He was coming in peace and God’s people recognized who He was and rejoiced. This marked the beginning of His Passion as Christ was obedient even unto death and knew what He was chosen to do. Just like in modern times evil does not like sharing the spotlight, especially with God. This angered the religious leaders of the day because in their hearts they knew exactly who He was.
7. And brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they set Him thereon.
8. And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way.
9. And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying “Hosanna to the son of David; Blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.”
10. And when He was come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying “Who is this?”
11. And the multitude said “This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.”